A press release is one of the best techniques for publicising an event or calling attention to an issue. An Objective Marketing inspired, well-written, well-distributed and well-timed press release is not difficult or expensive to produce yet can be effective and useful. The key to writing an effective press release is getting it read and the information published as the ultimate purpose of PR is to obtain free editorial coverage of the given subject; a news worthy event, a product launch, an achievement or anything that will catch media attention. The main elements of the press release are clear and engaging text, careful selection of recipients, and good timing of release. Here are our objectives and the process:
- We determine why the release is being written: to broadcast information, increase business, or update target audiences We identify the press release’s target audience
- We ensure that the press release contains invaluable or newsworthy information that will be of interest and used by the target audience
- Argue that there is a just cause for the release of the information that they wish to broadcast or publish
- Explain what they want recipients to take away from the press release
- Ensure that the release is grammatically correct and doesn’t contain any spelling mistakes, errors, and sources are quoted correctly
- Write the press release keeping it punchy, not using unnecessary flowery language
- Present true and correct information without embellishment
- Refrain from using over hyped quotes from sources, as they will be presented as being too biased
- Understand timing - the press release may not be topical, but it may be able to incorporate the release with a more recent news event
- Write a press release using the following principles - collate and organise the facts, identify the story’s angle, create a catchy headline, write in third-person voice, provide “quotes” from the newsmakers and provide additional background information
A new kind of press release—”optimised” for the Internet
The advent of the Internet has ushered in a new kind of press release known as an optimised press release. Unlike conventional press releases of yore, written for journalists’ eyes only, in the hope the editor or reporter would find the content compelling enough to turn it into print or electronic news coverage, the optimised press release is posted on an online news portal. Here we carefully select keywords or keyword phrases relevant to the press release contents.
Written skillfully with compelling content, the press release can rank highly in searches on Google News, Yahoo News or MSN News (or the many other minor news portals) for the chosen keyword phrases. Readers of optimised press releases constitute far more than journalists. In the days before news search engines, a press release would have landed only in the hands of a news reporter or an editor who would make the decision about whether the content warranted news coverage. Although the news media is always privy to online press releases in the search engines, most readers are end-users. Optimised press releases circumvent the mainstream media which is formerly,but no longer, the gatekeeper of the news.
Our services include:
- Media relations
- Media broadcast via the internet “
- “New Media” technologies such as “Blogging
- Event management
- Brand management
- Crisis management
- Strategic and tactical
- Support management
We hope you found this information useful. We would like to remind you that this subject is best served, and more effective as part of a complete marketing plan or strategy, rather than in isolation. For further expert advice please contact us to discuss your requirements or post a question in our blog.
Be Seen, Be Found, Be Accessible, Be Successful!